[orm-devel] Python 2.3's datetime

Diedrich Vorberg orm-devel@mailman.tux4web.de
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 16:36:11 +0200

Hi!

>    * Starting with Python 2.3, module authors can also use the object
>      types defined in the standard datetime module for date/time
>      processing. However, it should be noted that this does not
>      expose a C API like mxDateTime does which means that integration
>      with C based database modules is more difficult.
>
>I brought this up as I noted that kinterbasdb is now supporting this and
>it can also supports FixedPoint for numeric/decimal columns.

Ok, I can see that...

I'd like to stick to mxDateTime, though, because I'd like orm to
remain compatible to Python 2.2. The reason behind this is Zope: Zope
2.6 still uses 2.1 and it's only in the upcoming 2.7 release that
they'll support Python 2.2.

We should consider the issue again when the other database drivers
start switching away from mxDateTime.

If you'd like the Firebird adapter to use the internal type from
Python 2.3 you can define a type/column pair in
adapters.firebird.columns, but please put it in an if clause, so that
it doesn't get defined for Python 2.2 users.

What do you think?

Diedrich

--
           _..._                            Diedrich Vorberg
         .'     '.
        | (o)_(o) |                         info@tux4web.de
         //'._.'\ \           /     \       Internet Dienstleistungen
        //   .   \ \          \.@-@./       und 'Consulting'.
       |\   :     / |        //  _  \\      Linux Rules!