[orm-devel] Python 2.3's datetime

Werner F. Bruhin orm-devel@mailman.tux4web.de
Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:13:58 +0200

Hi Diedrich,

BTW, the logging with the new id works.

Diedrich Vorberg wrote:

>Hi Werner,
>

>>Are you thinking of supporting the new datetime module in Python 2.3
>>instead of mx.DateTime?
>>

>this is not up to me, really, since the database drivers all use
>mxDateTime. Also the Python Database API Specification
>(http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0249.html) still recommends
>eginix' package:
>
>   "The preferred object types for the date/time objects are those
>   defined in the mxDateTime package. It provides all necessary
>   constructors and methods both at Python and C level."

However it also states

    * Starting with Python 2.3, module authors can also use the object
      types defined in the standard datetime module for date/time
      processing. However, it should be noted that this does not
      expose a C API like mxDateTime does which means that integration
      with C based database modules is more difficult.

I brought this up as I noted that kinterbasdb is now supporting this and
it can also supports FixedPoint for numeric/decimal columns.

>Diedrich

See you
Werner