[orm-devel] Re: orm-devel Digest, Vol 3, Issue 1

Sebastian Ware sebastian at grandvinum.se
Mon Jan 31 16:19:56 CET 2005

2005-01-31 kl. 13.50 skrev orm-devel-request at mailman.tux4web.de:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
>> Could you consider looking into how ORM would work with DABO? If it
>> does I absolutely sure it will boost adoption of both frameworks. And
>> save developers a lot of time!
> I didn't know Dabo at all, thanks for pointing it out to me! It looks
> very impressive. I don't quite have the time to look into in detail it
> right now, though, but I am going to do so. I know ORM needs some GUI
> integration and Dabo looks like an excellent choice.

But I really missed a good ORM tool.

> Right now I'm using orm for web applications only and I've put some
> work into automatic creation of HTML from a datamodel. But I don't
> even have time to write documentation for it. ORM should have had at
> least three major releases in the last half year, but I couldn't find
> the time to do one. If you're willing to look into Dabo/ORM
> integration youself I'd be happy to help you out whenever I can...

I am not a skilled enough programmer to complete such a project. :-(
I pitched the integration idea to the dabo developers. Whereas they
didn't see the immediate use of a true ORM layer, maybe it would be
worth your while just sending some e-mails to them. I believe both
projects could benefit immensely from cooperation.

>> Also, check out this cool scalability test I was involved in to prove
>> the viability of ORM:
>> http://www.devx.com/vb2themax/Article/19867
> That's some impressive hardware... not quite the order of magnitude I
> usually work with. I didn't quite see the connection to Python and
> orm, though...

Regarding a general discussion about ORM (as in object-relational
mapping) performance and scalability. In case someone ever says "it
won't perform and it won't scale" you can show that ORM technology does
scale period. VB.NET was just the chosen language and platform.

Regards Sebastian Ware