[orm-devel] Updates in one UPDATE statement

Mike Watkins mw@mikewatkins.net
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:40:40 -0800 (PST)

What do you think about providing some capability to provide dbclass with
an ability to perform all attribute updates in one pass? I'm speaking of
course for an object which already exists in the database.

A dbclass object could have an explicit or automatic update mode -
explicit the developer is responsible for calling a "save" method.

One of the things I'm writing is a forum application - typically I'd
update all the fields POSTed, changed or not, as it avoids me having to
test to see if contents have changed. For complex forms, the current
scheme causes a lot of database updates.

Thoughts?