[orm-devel] Automatic table modufication (was: orm)

Eric Walstad orm-devel@mailman.tux4web.de
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 12:58:48 -0800

Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 07:29:45AM +0100, Diedrich Vorberg wrote:
[snip my original misunderstanding of Automatic Table Mods]
>>Personally I change around the tables a bit but that usually means
>>changing the app, too. The effort bringing orm up-to-date with the
>>SQL is dwarfed by the work spent on that.
>

> One feature I like about ORM is that it doesn't force a specific
> object:table mapping. By that I mean my python objects can diverge from
> the database. For example, I can add computed attributes, extra methods,
> multiple objects that are different mappings of the same table - lots
> of things.

I agree.  Although I am using a couple of one2many and one many2many
relationships in orm, there are some one to many database relationships
that I don't want orm to handle.  Specifically those where "many" is
quite large and I want to have control of what (few) python objects are
created in an effort to keep the app as speedy as possible.

Eric.