[orm-devel] Unified Connection Strings

Mike Watkins orm-devel@mailman.tux4web.de
Sun, 01 Dec 2002 08:02:43 -0800

My vote is for the 'Postgres' style

dsn = "adapter=pgsql dbname=test user=diedrich password=secret"

Another Python Postgres DA uses the format:
connect_string = 'host:port:database:user:password:options:tty'

But I'm in favor of clarity, so the latter example fails because when
optional parameters are missing you end up with something like:
         connect_string = 'orpheum::testdb::::'
which isn't very clear to me.

arg = parameter I can remember !

Plus it is easily extended with new args should the need arise.